meta content='width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0' name='viewport'/>

Thursday, December 21, 2017


Kim Jong Un and his men inspect one of the nuclear projects

Kim Jong Un and his men inspect one of the nuclear projects

  • North Korea said that it will not budge an inch in its pursuit for stronger weapons
  • It said it has no interest in holding talks with the U.S.
  • Tillerson has stressed on talks with North Korea but has claimed it must earn its way back to the table

North Korea - Lashing out at widespread criticism and efforts to curb its nuclear ambition, North Korea fought back on Tuesday.

The rouge state declared that it would not “budge an inch” in its pursuit of stronger nuclear weapons.

The Seoul-based Yonhap News Agency quoted North Korean officials as saying that the country has no interest in holding talks with the U.S., even without preconditions about its nuclear program.

Recently, U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson put forth such an alternative to deter the reclusive nuclear nation from developing more sophisticated weapons of mass destruction. 

However, Tillerson immediately shifted his position after a pushback from the White House.

He said on Friday, that North Korea “must earn its way back to the table.” 

The top U.S. diplomat said a "sustained cessation of North Korea’s threatening behavior must occur before talks can begin."

Lashing out on Tuesday, North Korea’s state-run newspaper, Rodong Sinmun, accused Tillerson and the U.S. of trying to “shift responsibility” for the heightened tensions between the two countries. 

It said the U.S. is trying to “set the tone for manipulating new UN Security Council resolutions that may include a maritime blockade if we do not accept dialogue aimed at discussing the abandonment of our nuclear weapons.”

The report added, “There is no change in our stance that we will not budge an inch in our march toward strengthening our nuclear forceʔ”

The U.S. and North Korea have been enemies for decades, but the animosity has reached historic levels in 2017 as Kim Jong Un’s regime has conducted a slew of missile tests. 

In late November, North Korea launched its most powerful ballistic missile, which reached an altitude of 2,800 miles and traveled for roughly 50 minutes before crashing into the Sea of Japan. 

The test occurred as part of Pyongyang’s broader effort to acquire the technology that would allow it to launch a nuclear weapon at the mainland U.S. 

Before that, in September, North Korea conducted its sixth and most powerful nuclear test to date and has since threatened to hold the seventh test over the Pacific Ocean, a move that could pose a huge threat to shipping and aircraft. 

However, the threat of a nuclear war breaking out has also been attributed to the threats and insults exchanged between U.S. President Donald Trump and the North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, who has been titled “Rocket Man” by Trump. 

Many foreign policy experts believe that Trump’s belligerent rhetoric toward North Korea has only served to exacerbate the situation. 

The international community has attempted to pressure Pyongyang to give up on its nuclear ambitions via harsh economic sanctions.

However, North Korea has remained obstinate about its goals. 

Over the last few months, a number of countries have reportedly violated these sanctions, offering the reclusive nation a lifeline. 

So far, experts believe that North Korea has anywhere from 25 to 60 nuclear weapons, but others believe it has not yet developed the technology to launch a nuclear-tipped intercontinental ballistic missile toward the mainland U.S. successfully.

White House national security adviser H.R. McMaster said during an interview on Tuesday that the U.S. cannot “tolerate” the risk posed by a nuclear North Korea. 

McMaster said, “What happens when North Korea gets this capability? What if other nations in the region are in this way? That’s going to be even more destabilizing.”

Source: North Korea Times

No comments:

Post a Comment